Thursday, May 17, 2012

TIME FOR CHANGE at LOCAL 45


My name is Elaine Ocasio and I am requesting the honor of representing the membership of IBEW Local 45 as your Business Manager.

I have been a member since 1990 when I began working at KCAL-TV Los Angeles.  In 2002 KCAL merged with KCBS-TV.

During my career I have worked as a technician in Master Control, Videotape (now Air Prep), Non-linear Editing, Manual Studio Cameras, Robotic Cameras, Audio and recently trained on Control Room Automation.

I have been a Shop Steward with Local 45 since 2002.  I have been a member of the CBS National Agreement Negotiating Committee and sat on The Executive Board as Recording Secretary.  I served as a delegate to The International Convention and have attended many Conferences.

From 1980-1988 I worked at KCOP-TV in Los Angeles where I was part of the team that organized the non-union shop there, participated in the negotiations for the first contract and served as Shop Steward.

My pledge, if elected to be your Business Manager, is to always remember that I work for you – the membership – and that my job is to uphold your rights under your contracts.

I promise to be responsive to the membership – to be available by phone, text or email and to be attentive to your needs.

I pledge to vigorously challenge every discharge of a member.  

I pledge to NEVER negotiate an agreement with a company where the members are not involved in the process.

I pledge to work to grow and strengthen our local union by pursuing organizing  opportunities.



I have worked in Television for 30 years.  I know what it is like “in the trenches” – the daily challenges of “downsizing” and the pressure it puts on the remaining workers.

The Broadcast business is changing and I pledge to represent our members so that we can change and grow with the industry.

Our City and County membership is facing pressures of shrinking budgets and I pledge to stand with you to get the fair share of available revenues.

This is your Local.  You can help shape its direction.

Please participate in this election – whomever you decide to vote for.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment