Thursday, May 10, 2012

Union Experience Bio




I grew up in a union household.  My father was a printer for The New York Times, a member of International Typographical Union No. 6.  He was an active member, attending the membership meetings every month.  He would come home and explain to us what it was all about.  He participated in strikes and would bring home copies of the contract to show the family.

My mother worked in New York City’s Garment District and was a member of The International Ladies Garment Workers Union Local 44.

I saw firsthand the benefits of union membership.  My family started out living in public housing, but with their good union jobs and benefits my parents were able to improve the family’s circumstances and buy a house.

I attended Hunter College of The City University of New York, majoring in Communications and Film.
My first job out of college was as an Editorial Assistant to Victor Riesel, a syndicated newspaper columnist and local television commentator who specialized in Labor and Politics. During the time I worked for Mr. Riesel he focused on issues of the Teamsters Union and the struggles of the Southern Textile Workers.

I moved to Los Angeles in 1980 and was hired by KCOP-TV, which at the time was non-union.  I was part of a small group of workers there who organized the shop and steered through a successful vote to join IATSE.  I participated in negotiating the first contract there and served as the Shop Steward.  I became Supervisor of Master Control in 1984.

I left KCOP in 1988 in a voluntary buy-out and worked for two years as a Script Supervisor in film production.

I started at KCAL-TV in 1990.  I participated in contract negotiations with Young Broadcasting and then with Viacom/CBS when the station was sold.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment