Wednesday, May 23, 2012

WHY I DECIDED TO RUN

I want to clarify for Local 45 members exactly how I arrived at the decision to seek the position of Business Manager.
It was not an easy decision.  I thought about it on-and-off for a few years. I sat on the Executive Board as Recording Secretary and came to understand that being a Business Manager is a tough job.  I go in with my eyes wide open as to what it entails. 
There was not one sudden "aha!" moment -- but many large and small incidents that led me to my conclusion that I must run. Some of these include:
  •  During negotiations for the CBS National Agreement, our head negotiator, International Representative Tim Dixon, said to the union negotiating committee: "No More Side Deals!"  They undermine the National Agreement.  Lloyd Webster had signed an "Experimental Side Deal" with CBS regarding the use of VJ's at KCBS/KCAL-TV.  It expired recently and Mr. Webster renegotiated it and did not allow anyone from the negotiating committee to participate.  We asked to be included but he would never even tell us when the meetings took place.  We eventually received the signed agreement as an email attachment.  He extended the "Experiment" for 3 more years.  The VJ's are union members but make half of what our photogs make -- they get 2 weeks vacation.  Their raises are based on the same formula that is used for non-union employees.  I believe it sets a dangerous precedent.
  •  I was on the committee to write up new rules for the automated production control rooms during our recent negotiations. It was agreed that TD's would be upgraded to DGA pay as there would be shared duties with Directors.  After I believed that the negotiation was settled there was some new backroom dealings in which I was not included .  Mr. Webster was part of those backroom deals.  The end result is that New York and Chicago TD's will be paid the DGA rate -- which is a substantial raise.  Even though we do more daily news than the other markets the KCBS/KCAL TD's are not getting that upgrade. The Chief Engineer at the station told me that Lloyd Webster told him they did not have to pay the upgrade.  Mr. Webster denied ever saying that and said he would prove it to me by having a meeting with the Chief Engineer.  That meeting has never materialized.
  • LOCAL 45 Brother Gary Johnson has been tapped to be Business Manager in the event that Mr. Webster retires.  I approached Brother Johnson six or seven months ago and told him that if he chose to run I would support him, but that if he chose not to run then I would run.  He said he would not run against Lloyd Webster.  He also refused to challenge Mr. Webster about the VJ Agreement for fear that Mr. Webster would not hire him on as a Business Rep.  The VJ Agreement was signed and Brother Johnson was hired on as a Rep.
  • Mr. Webster is soft on filing grievances.  In the past three or four months many grievances have been filed at KCBS/KCAL. Some of those issues have been brewing for over a year with no action taken.  Now, because an election is taking place, Mr. Webster has followed through on these issues.  We need someone who will take action on issues even when there is no election.
I believe that the membership Of Local 45 deserves better than that.

1 comment:

  1. Last week I had the honor and privilege of nominating my friend Elaine Ocasio as Business Manager for IBEW local 45. As a past Union lot steward for I.A.T.S.E. I know how challenging and important representing your fellow members can be. Elaine is one of the most ethical and strongest people I know. She has worked hard for many years supporting and protecting her fellow union members for no compensation other than doing what was right and what she believes in. Over the past months Elaine has shared some of her frustrations with how things were being handled by the current business manager. When she expressed an interest in running I whole heartedly encouraged her to do so. I know that she will work hard for the union and each and every member every day of her term. It is my belief that she will bring much needed change and strength to the position. Barbara Smith

    ReplyDelete